Do you want to learn how to write powerful email copies that sell? Do you want to be so good at it to the point your prospect lines up and waits for your email to drop in their inbox? If you want to learn how to do this like a professional, then you are in the right place. In this article, I will take you on a journey on how to write powerful email copies that sell. After applying what you will learn in this article, you will be a professional at email marketing.
What is email marketing?
Look around you, just take a minute and observe that the world has advanced far more than it was 10 to 20 years ago. If you are observant enough you will know that almost every business is establishing itself online, the only space is fast becoming saturated. Every type of business you can think of is done online. Doesn’t this tell you something? That the competition rate is now overwhelming, that the rate at which businesses fold is becoming scarier? This tells you that if you don’t do your homework well you will go out of business as soon as you start.One of the secrets to starting and scaling a business is to do things your competitors aren’t thinking of and to do it well. Before we continue, if you are reading this and you intend to start a business of your own, make sure you read this Don’t start a business without reading this. In that article, I listed what every business owner must have in mind before starting a business. Let me run a recap of that article here for you to have a glimpse of it. There are many characteristics a business owner must possess but there are 3 qualities on which every other quality depends, and those three characteristics are :
- Business plan: This is the most important of all qualities a business owner must do before he or she starts a business. A business plan is the vision of that business, it is what that business stands for. If a business owner does not plan his business structure very well that business is bound to fail. A business plan is the starting point of all businesses. Read more on the business plan here
- Customer research: after making plans and writing down your business strategies, the next is customer research. Customer research is what will determine the effectiveness of your marketing platform. Customer research, when done well, has the potential to triple your sales in a few months of application. Many businesses spend millions of dollars on ads and marketing without any notable results, the reason is not on the platform they choose, the reason is that they did not do enough customer research, customer research is what will make you pull in sales through any digital marketing platforms out there. Customer research simply refers to the in-depth study a business owner must do about his presumed customers, to know their fears, their pains, their disappointment, and other things. The more personal the research is, the better the outcome when implemented. As a starter in business, you must understand your customer in-depth, where they meet, where they hang out, and who their favorite person is. This will help you to draft out a powerful copy that addresses your customer on a more personal basis, copies that will speak to them directly, that will speak directly to their pains and years, when you draft out a copy like this, there is no way you will not be able to pull in sales and make tons of money in return. In this article, I will show you the step-by-step process of drafting a powerful email copy that will skyrocket your sales and boost your business to a new level.
- The last thing that must be done for you to start a business is passion: you see, the journey to starting and scaling a successful business is not an easy one. You have to have passion for what you are promoting, you have to trust your ability to deliver your product, and you have to have a strong passion for it. Passion is what keeps you going when every other thing fails. In the journey of starting a business, you will meet so many obstacles on the way, you will need setbacks, and the first few years of your business will be the toughest years of that business. It is the years of building your business, you build your business with vision, you build it looking at your plan, the business plan you’ve made, those plans give your direction and focus, and a man with focus and passion mixed with vision can never lose his direction on life. This was what I talked about in this article Don’t start a business without reading this.
Why is email marketing so important in today’s business and age
The world as we know it has gone digital, for any business to make huge sales in today’s world, you must be in the online space. In this online space, there’s money in it, but only a few businesses know how to harness the power of digital platforms to scale their businesses. There are many digital platforms where one can find quality prospects and pull in sales, but there’s no platform like Email Marketing, according to research, it is said that for every 1 dollar put into email marketing it brings back 44 dollars. That’s a very huge amount of return on investment, there’s no other platform that can give you this type of ROI.Building an email list is what every business owner must do if he or she must remain in business for long. Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and ticktock are not yours, Mark Zuckerberg can decide to shut down Facebook and if all your audience is based on Facebook you will lose everything. This is why you need to build your email list. An email list is very important to the success of businesses, it can increase sales and revenues in a short period. An email list can be automated too, giving you the leverage to make money even while you sleep. But for you to be able to do this, you must learn how to write a good and powerful email, this is what we will discuss next. Sit tight and enjoy the ride
Ways to Write A Powerful Email Copy
When it cons to email, there are only three things that matter
- Get it delivered
- Get it opened
- Get it clicked
In today’s day and age, email deliverability is determined by three things:
- Sender’s reputation
- Bounce and complaint rate
- Recipient engagement
Just like your credit score, your IP address( the unique string of numbers that identify your computer) has a reputation called a sender’s score. You can visit www.sendsrscore.org to find out for yourself. This website is run by a company called Return Path, and it will tell you what your reputation and sender score is. Anything above 90 is good, anything above 95 is great, and you won’t have any deliverability issues.
Important metrics that affect sender reputation
- The message is read: A positive indicator that recipients want to receive your emails.
- The message is replied to A positive indicator that the message is desired and presents personal interest to the recipients.
- The message is forwarded: A positive indicator that the recipients find the message valuable and think that others should see it too
- The message is marked as “not spam”: A very strong positive indicator that email providers use to train their spam filters.
After you select which platform is best for you and you’ve got a new IP, it’s important to start sending slowly with a low email volume to establish an IP address reputation. Over time, you can increase the volume
Formatting and styling
Contrary to popular advice, your email shouldn’t look beautiful, with heavy images and sexy graphics. Why not? Firstly, who do you think sends these types of heavy emails with lots of images? Individuals or businesses with commercial intent? Businesses!!! These types of emails send a signal to the email providers that the nature of your email is not personal, and therefore it hurts deliverability. And if it doesn’t get delivered, nobody’s opening it, and if nobody’s opening it- you guessed right- nobody will be buying
Logos and header
A lot of business owners and even seasoned marketers put their logos at the top of each email, and they have padding around the email with fancy buttons, almost styling it up like a web page. These heavyweight emails kill your deliverability, because who sends these types of emails? Businesses!! And what types of emails do businesses send out? Promotion!! And therefore, this type of email gives a signal to the email providers, that this is a promotion, and so they will either stick it in Gmail’s promotions tab or throttle the deliverability. This not only kills the number of emails that arrive in the inbox but also hits the consumption of the email. If you are serious about email marketing and want to run world-class email campaigns, you must have a robust infrastructure providing accurate email authentication, a high sender score, a clean sending IP address, and a good email reputation. It sounds like a lot of work– and it is!!! however, it’s well worth the effort when the sales come pouring in.
Every email is classified into two, A ‘P’ group and a ‘C’ group
The p group contains emails that are or appear to be personal. Like emails from friends, relatives, colleagues, business associates, and so on. On the other hand, the C group contains those emails that contain a promotional or commercial message. Everybody always opens all of their P group emails. This is for obvious reasons, as everybody wants to read their emails and doesn’t want to miss a bit of news or a question from a friend or family member. What happens to the C group? Do they always get opened? No, they don’t. Most of the time they get archived or deleted immediately without ever being opened. When crafting your email, your first objective is to get our emails into the P group. How do we do this? We can achieve this by making our emails look personal. This starts with the sender’s name and the subject line. Emails that you want to get opened should always come from an email that appears to be personal.
How to almost force people to open your emails with your subject lines
The primary driver of email open rate is your subject line. It’s the element of an email that usually stands out the most in your reader’s inbox. There’s a lot of advice out there to help you write better subject lines. And most of this advice has a lot in common. It’s mostly about subject line hacks and formulas, I.e, use emoji in your subject line or use this magic email subject line formula, and stuffs like that Your email subject line’s primary objective is to sound as much like their trusted friend, family member, or colleague as you can, without being tricky or gimmicky, or lame. The more you sound like a friend, the less you’ll screen ” I belong in the C group!! Delete me!. Here are the subject lines of a few personal and work-related emails in my inbox:
- Crazy check this out
- Can I chat with you about this in the morning?
- Let’s buy this for Melia
- Friday’s playgroup
- Bali accommodation options
- Approval needed
What do these subject lines all have in common?
- Use lower case or sentence case, not title case, or even worse ALL CAPS
- Lack almost all punctuation
- Keep it to four of five words, max
- Ask questions
- Tell you enough to want to open them, but not the whole story
When crafting your email subject lines, you need me to do all of the above, to make your subject lines look personal and in the P group. Examples of great subject lines
- How to make (subject) that will (benefit)
- 21+ ways to grow your (subject)
- Do you think you can (benefit)?
- 5 reasons why you should(subject)
- (Benefit) while you sleep.
After writing a powerful headline that is personal, the next is the body of your copies, the more personal the copy is the more your email will be opened, read more on how to write a powerful email body here
Finally, we’ve come to the end of this article. There’s no doubt that email can boost sales and drive profit, building your email list is one of the best decisions you can make for your business. Email lists will boost sales and triple your profits. In this article, I’ve written extensively on email marketing, from the previous post where I did an introduction to email marketing. In this article, I took it a step further to teach you how to write a powerful email copy. This article will be of great help to you if you will follow through with what I have written down and apply it to your business. Start today to build your email list, use this template I have given you to craft our copies that sell. I believe this article has been of great help to you, feel free to comment your thoughts in the comment section, and feel free to share with friends too.